Monday, July 24, 2006

Morning work-out

This evening I went to TGI Friday's in Shibuya for a surprise birthday party. I was a little late arriving for I had not been up for long. I had been partying in Roppongi the night before and didn't get home until 7am, so had been forced to spend the day sleeping. I had one beer and nibbled at a few of the meatless dishes that were spread across the table for everyone to share. It was nice to be presented with proper cutlery for a change! At nine o'clock we had to leave (I been there for an hour and a half). Due to the fact that the bill is always split I got a bit of a raw deal this time - 20 quid for a beer and a bit of food!! What a rip off. The party moved onto an overpriced English theme pub, that charged 5 pounds a pint. I was beginning to wish I hadn't forced myself to go out and be sociable, instead of staying at home and watching a movie, which is what I felt I preffered to do. It had already spent more than I had bargained.

It proved to be a jolly evening though and I caught the last train home with a few friends. Of course the usual jokes and attempts to communicate in English/Japanese ensued, and we laughed at the drunk people lying on the platforms, and made small talk about plans for the rest of the weekend. One of my Japanese co-workers said she would be getting up at the usual time of 8.30 the following day. We asked why of course - for most people enjoy a lie-in when they have the chance. To my astonishment she said that she had to get up at this time to do her exercises. This may not in itself sound strange, but the absurdity lies not in the action but in the reason for it. Every morning at 8.30 the local office block plays a special work-out tune on a load speaker, so that employees can exercise in the lobby or the car park before they start work. Given that my friend lives very nearby, and well within earshot of this chirpy tune, she takes advantage of it; also rising early to join them in their quest for fitness, but in the comfort of her own appartment....! I wonder if I will ever really get accustomed to the little peculiarities of this culture? I hope not.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home