Friday, August 11, 2006

Retail Therapy

Monday 31st July
I had been in Japan for almost two months and had not actually been shopping. Now considering how much I love shopping and the fact that I live in Tokyo - a city that boasts the biggest department stores on the planet, the newest technology, cutting edge fashions in clothing and such choice and availability of every product imaginable (and unimaginable) it is a wonder that I hadn't hit the stores already. Anyway, it was pay day so I figured what better time to indulge my materialistic urges?

The compulsion had apparently gripped my co-workers too so we joined forces and made for Akihabara, 'the electric city'. The district is like a dirty Shibuya. It lacks glamour and diversity. It is essentially block-to-block neon and electrical goods stores. Outside every shop are displays of washing machines, stereos, air-conditioning units, cell phones, computers, gadgets, second hand merchandise, electrical hardware and manga. It is a strange phenomenon. Lining every street are people shrieking on microphones and young girls in gothic maid outfits giving out flyers for 'maid cafes' or manga comic book stores. It is a consumer capital for geeks. Electronics and comics - both are hugely popular. You see rows of men in convenience stores lined up at the magazine racks reading manga. It is weird. In England if you pause to flick through a magazine you feel guilty because very often some grumpy old man will come over and ask "so, are you gonna buy that then?" Not in Japan. You can stand all day and read comics and then walk out without buying anything. No-one seems to mind.

My friend wanted to buy a new lap-top so this was obviously the place to come. However, the problem was that the choice is overwhelming and for me there is nothing worse than being dragged around computer shops all day when you are not buying anything for yourself. Initially I feel frustrated because I see so many things I want to buy and then this gives way to boredom. But Japan being what it is, one can never be bored for long.... On the 8th floor of the yet another electronics store, I saw four Buddhist monks in red robes loitering by the electric kettles and what appeared to be black, leather dentists chairs. A fifth monk was lounging in one of the comfy looking recliners and pressing buttons on a display to his right. As we drew closer we realised they were massage chairs. A couple of western girls were giggling nearby. They were riding rodeo-seats. This looked like fun! So of course for the next 30 minutes we too were strapped in and kneaded and prodded by the electronic armchairs, whilst our friend chose his computer. The Buddhist monks left without buying anything. I only wish I had got a picture. Japan is so full of curious contradictions.

On the way from Akihabara to 'musical instrument street' in Ochanamizu, we stopped to look at an old shrine. It was just off a dusty main road, but beyond the walls it was a jungle of twisting creepers, dappled sunlight, chirping insects and flitting butterflies. In a clearing near the shrine, was a mossy statue of Confucius that stood many meters high. Unfortunately we could not linger long because we were being attacked by mosquitoes. We made a hasty exit back onto the polluted streets and over the bridge into Ochanamizu.

My mission for the day was to buy an acoustic guitar. I left mine back in England and had really missed having it on hand to play, plus it was a good excuse to buy another one. Several of my students had recommended coming to this area because it has the highest concentration of music shops in Tokyo. Most of them sell electric guitars but there was a good selection of a acoustics too. I scoured every shop. It was my turn to bore my companions. In the end I came back to the first shop I went into and settled for a Yamaha. It was very nice to play and had a good mellow sound. I parted with 150 quid in return for it and they threw in a free case, some guitar strings and a capo. I figured it was a pretty good deal. I was happy. Music had been restored to my life!

That evening I played it until my fingers hurt, whilst trying to hear myself over the roar of the passing trains as well as trying not to disturb the neighbours. Not an easy thing to do. It felt good to have spent money on something tangible as opposed to frittering it away on partying. I will have to do this every month! So what's next on my list? Er, clothes, a digital camera, a stereo, a lap-top (apple of course) shoes, sunglasses, matching luggage, bags, a DVD player, a bike, jewelry, perfume, CDs.... More, more, more. Once you start you never want to stop. It just leaves you wanting more. No. I think I will save my money for experiences. At the end of the day they are far more valuable. Material possessions are nice to have but they do not provide one with interesting memories to look back on in old age. Anyone can have a life of flat-screen TV's and the newest i-pods, but not everyone can have a life of adventure. Consumerism is illusory and temporary fulfillment. A balance, as always, is what is important. However this balance is hard to achieve. The lure of beautiful things to enhance our lives; the promise of happiness in return for a simple credit card transaction, is a powerful one. Surely 'happiness' can't be bought gift wrapped with a one year warranty. Yet, I have to ask - what chance do I have of extricating myself from this endless cycle of want, when even Buddhist monks are tempted by electric kettles and massage chairs?....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home