Thursday, June 15, 2006

The shrine

So, it has been as while since I posted anything. I guess that is because I haven't really been in the mood for writing. I end up leaving work at about 10 pm and for some reason I just haven't had the enthusiasm for it this week. Anyway I am on a break now so I felt I really had to take the opportunity to catch up my reports. The rainy season has started here so it is pretty dull and grey. The last time I saw sunlight was on that Sunday I went to Harajuku, which was June 4th I believe. In actual fact I haven't finished my post about that day. It was an epic day too if I recall. Given that I want to bring things up to date I will finish my account of that day.

After the madness of Harajuku, the three of us wandered into the leafy serenity of the park (the name of which I cannot remember right now.) We passed beneath a gateway of great tree trunks and to our left was a long wall of beautifully painted sake barrels, maybe 15 high, and decorated in cherry red, green and yellow, with black dragons, flowing Japanese script and other symbols. Our destination was the Meiji Jingu Shrine. We washed our hands at the entrance, rinsed our mouths and once cleansed passed into an airy, tranquil courtyard. Ahead of us, up a flight of broad white steps was the sacred area, from which could be heard the claps of the those about to pray. I walked up and watched as people tossed coins as offerings. Beyond this are of the shrine was another smaller courtyard that was inaccessible to the public. It was very beautiful. The place had an real feeling of peace about it. It was hard to believe we were still in Tokyo. Back down the steps to the left were the prayer walls which glowed orange in the sunlight beneath the sacred tree. They were covered in little wooden plaques each with peoples prayers written upon and tied with purple string. I saw a girl in a kimono as we walked to the iris gardens. Unfortunately we were a few weeks too early for they were not in bloom yet. We followed the little paths anyway, as they snaked beneath starry acer trees, and then back through the gateway that separated the crowds and the traffic from another world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home